Red cabbage is often used raw for salads and coleslaw, like in my Red Cabbage and Cilantro Crunchy Slaw, but my favorite way to prepare red cabbage is on the grill. These Red Cabbage Steaks will make an easy, inexpensive and delicious side dish for your next summer barbecue.
If you are prepping for a large party you can slice and season the cabbage in advance so that they are ready to go on the grill. You can also mix it up and use both green and red cabbage, just remember the green cabbage will not need to cook as long!
- 1 large red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Turn on the grill
- Slice the cabbage steaks ½- 1 inch thick, leaving the core in
- Lay the cabbage on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle garlic, salt and pepper evenly
- Place the cabbage on the grill and cook for about 5-8 minutes per side, or until slightly charred