Let the countdown to Halloween officially begin! Sugar laden candy may have filled store shelves sine July and the spooky decorations are almost replaced entirly by winter holiday decor, but I prefer to live in the present. With Halloween just over a week away it’s time to sort out your costume (and your dogs costume) and plan what fun treats you are going to indulge in! Let’s be honest the treats are the best part!
We may not have our costumes quite figured out our costumes just yet, you can bet that I have the sweet treats planned and ready to go!
First up are my famous homemade almond joys! These yummy little bites are a favorite among friends and family. All the deliciousness of a traditional almond joy, without all the junk.
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 24 almonds
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Combine the unsweetened shredded coconut, ¼ cup coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract in a large bowl
- Shape the mixture into 12 candies and top with two almonds on each candy
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes
- Place the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted, stirring frequently
- Remove the shredded coconut candies from the freezer and dip them in the melted chocolate
- Place the candy forms on the the baking sheet and back in the freezer until the chocolate shells harden