I have always loved candy apples! There is something about those sticky sweet treats that bring me back to summer night as a kid running around the town carnival. My grandmother would then recreate candy apples throught the fall with freshly picked apples and homemade carmel sauce.
While traditional candy apples make a big sticky mess for children and adults, this version is much easier to eat and a bit healthier than the candied version!
Get the kids in the kitchen this Halloween and let the kids get creative decorating their “candy” apples!
- 1-2 apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts of your choice
- Coconut sugar
- Wash and dry the apple and then slice it into 6-8 even wedges. Discard the core.
- Drizzle the apples with lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- Place the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted, stirring frequently.
- Dip the apple wedges into the melted chocolate and gently stir until half of the apple is covered in chocolate. Repeat with all apple wedges.
- Place the chocolate covered apple wedges on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut, chopped nuts and a pinch of coconut sugar.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer until the chocolate hardens, about 10-15 minutes, and serve.