A few weeks ago a new Whole Foods Market opened in the South End, just a few blocks from my apartment. Not only is this new location incredibly convenient, but it also boasts a number of amenities not available at all Whole Foods Markets. Some of the major highlights include
- A coffee bar, including cold brew coffee on tap and single origin pour-over coffee.
- The Fish Shack, featuring fresh “daily catch” served in a number of ways.
- Flour and spices sold by bulk, so you can get as much or little as you need.
- A smoothie bar (and a fro-yo bar).
- A large beer, wine, and spirits section, along with a refrigerated wine case all rated 90+ by Wine Advocate.
- And who can forget the Milk and Honey day spa!
Let’s just say it has become a regular weekend stop when J and I are shopping on the weekends.
Last weekend I was perusing the produce section and was excited to see blood oranges on sale for the second week in a rox, so I stocked up. I’ve been including these delicious fruits in my morning smoothie, but decided to try something different for dessert last night. Enjoy them on their own for a late night snack, with whipped coconut cream for dessert or on top of your favorite salad!
- 1 blood orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Slice orange into ⅛ inch slices
- Toss orange slices in a bowl (or plastic bag) with honey
- Line oranges on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Roast in oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown
- Remove oranges from oven and let sit for 3 minutes