Pasta was a staple in my house growing up. I remember a pot of sauce and meatballs cooking on the stove all day on Sunday–and secretly sneaking a spoonful when no one was looking. While I don’t miss pasta itself, I do miss the sauce and the good memories the smell brings back.
One lazy Sunday afternoon J decided to make a big pot of sauce– I was ecstatic, I’ve been trying to get him to make his Mom’s homemade sauce since we moved in together. Now, would have been happy with a bowl of meatballs and sauce, but J wanted to add a little something extra. so we searched the internet. We could have done spaghetti squash, but then we came across an unusual, yet simple idea to put you’r meatballs and sauce over another vegetable, zucchini! We had recently bought a mandolin with a julienne blade, and the rest was, as they say, history!
Zucchini Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 6 zucchini
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Wash the zucchini.
- Use a julienne peeler to julienne the zuchinni in to long spagetti like pieces.
- Place the zucchini noodles in a covered microwave safe dish and microwave on high for about two minutes.
- Drain the excess liquid and toss the zucchini with salt and pepper.
- 1lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 small onion, mince
- 1 Tbsp spinach (optional)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, scramble egg and combineall ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Use a spoon (or your hands) to make even circles and place on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then flip the meatballs to the other side and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Voila! Top with your favorite (homemade or jarred) marinara sauce!