Next week will be the three year anniversary of J going gluten free, and I couldn’t be prouder or more excited to celebrate (with Paleo approved dessert of course– yes those two words can be said in the same sentence). J going gluten free was the first step on our long journey to a happy and healthy Paleo lifestyle. J made the switch for health reasons and I followed suit a few months later for no better reason than it was easier to cook meals that we could both eat, rather than make two different meals each night. It wasn’t until even a few months after this that we decided to test the waters with Paleo.
While maintaining a gluten free diet is no easy feat, I must point out that baking gluten free can be just as challenging. Baking from scratch is always a challenge, but baking with new (and might I add expensive) types of flour, makes is a whole new ball game– plus it raises the stakes quiet a bit when a failed attempt at Apple Cinnamon Muffins could cost you a pretty penny. Gluten free, almond meal, coconut… the options really are endless. No matter what your diet you really can still find a way to make the baked goods you love.
That being said there are a ton of gluten free and Paleo friendly products on the market to make you’re life easier. Betty Crocker has a whole line of gluten free boxed mixes, and gluten free Bisquick was a lifesaver before we discovered Paleo Banana Pancakes.
In honor of J’s one year gluten free anniversary I decided to share one of his favorite recipes, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread!
- 1½ cups almond meal or almond flour
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, liquid form
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl mash the bananas
- Mix in the eggs, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla
- Add the almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt
- Mix until there are no clumps
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Lightly grease a 5 x 10 or similar sized loaf pan with coconut oil
- Pour the batter in the pan
- Bake for 45 minutes or until edges are golden brown
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before slicing