Most mornings I am up at 5 am to hit the the gym and get in a WOD before heading into the office. Breakfast usually consists of a banana before the gym and a simple smoothie, easy eggs cups or paleo granola at the office. I like my routine and love being able to fit in a workout before a long day at the office, but it’s the days that I’m not out of the house before the sun’s up that I really get to enjoy breakfast.
On those days J and I still try to get up a few minutes early so we can enjoy a yummy breakfast together before we start our day. Although J would probably love a batch of pancakes every morning, I tend to stick with eggs. As an alternative to my usual BAE (bacon and eggs), I recently whipped up this Bacon and Spinach Egg Scramble from a few ingredients I had in the fridge. If you don’t have bacon and spinach on hand, try substituting in another meat (extra points if you have previously cooked leftovers) and another leafy green or vegetable!
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat
- When the skillet is hot, add the bacon and cook until crispy
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside
- Drain ¾ of the bacon fat from the skillet and add the spinach
- Whisk the eggs, parsley and onion powder
- Once the spinach begins to cook through, add the egg mixture
- Stir continuously until eggs are thoroughly cooked
- Add the bacon into the scramble